Be Brave And Add A Bit Of Whimsy
What is whimsy? The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines it as the quality or state of being whimsical or fanciful. Other words we can use to define whimsy in an interior design plan include quirky, funky, playful, unusual, or unexpected.
Adding a touch of whimsy to your home décor requires a bit of courage and confidence; however, it ensures that your house isn’t a “vanilla” interior like everyone else’s. It also takes some imagination, which is what really adds your unique personality to the look of your home.
An Unexpected Touch
Whimsy works best in interior design when used in small quantities and in a surprising way. If you use too much, your home could look like a carnival fun house.
The whimsical element can stand out from among the rest of the furnishings because it is different in shape, style, color, design or scale – or is just totally unexpected!
Where To Add Whimsical Accents
Design elements that work well for adding a bit of whimsy include:
- Unusually patterned or textured window treatments, rugs or carpeting
- Wall art or sculpture
- Unusually shaped or colored furniture
- Unexpected wallpaper
- Stencils or murals on the wall, ceiling or floor
- Surprising fabric on a chair or sofa (or slipcovers if you want to make a smaller commitment!)
- Decorative accessories such as throw pillows, bed linens or table linens
- Display of a collection that is unusual; for example, kitschy souvenirs or unusual photos
Be adventuresome this fall and have some fun by adding whimsy!